Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Meet Moose--My Muse

Isn't he handsome?!
I have a new dog in my life! Well, kind of. I don't want to mislead you. We have not adopted another living, breathing furry friend--but my muse, Moose, is available for adoption, if you have room in your home, heart, and life for a very special canine! In addition, I am working on a sculpture in honor of Moose...and it is available for purchase via a very special auction. (Click here to link to the auction!)


"Micro-Moose," mid-makeover
It's a collaborative artwork; I am not the only artist involved. Terri Malloy of Vernon, Vermont created nine papier mache sculptures of some very special greyhounds, including Moose. I had the opportunity to sign on as an artist to finish one of the sculptures for an online auction, and that's how Moose became my Muse. C-gal is helping me. It's not easy tangling a 3-D surface...in fact it's quite daunting. But I decided to take on the challenge, leave my comfort zone of traditional Zentangle tiles, and embrace the opportunity to participate in this grand, charitable event supporting the Fast Friends Greyhound Rescue and Adoption Center of Swanzey, New Hampshire. Fast Friends is a state-licensed animal shelter and non-profit organization, dedicated to educating the public about racing greyhounds and finding responsible, loving homes--forever families--for greyhounds.

Also in on the creative collaboration are Amy Reisinger and Betty Mullan, who made tiny beaded collars for each miniature greyhound.

More about Moose, the actual dog:
He's a big one. And a mighty one: he is winning his battle with cancer. He needs a forever home in which to relax and enjoy retirement and remission. While I am not in a position to provide this for him, it is my honor to tangle this sculpture that can help fund the his cause--his individual cause, and the cause of greyhound rescue/adoption through Fast Friends.

More about "Micro-Moose," the tangled papier mache sculpture:
I've been calling him "Micro Moose" to distinguish him from the living, breathing Moose. But don't get the wrong impression--"micro" makes him sound tiny. He's actually about 7 inches tall, 9 inches long, and 2 inches wide. He has a base coat of white gesso and some patches that mimic his actual markings, based on photos of actual Moose. The patches are tangled with zewm, bunzo, and diva dance. Other tangles that you see in the photo above include y-not (aka etcher),  Rick's paradox, gneiss, betweed, mooka, patena, and a Celtic knot completed in the style of auraknot. More have been added since this photo was taken, and still more will be added in the next day or so--it's a slow, careful process.

C-gal and I will be finishing up Micro-Moose this week and sending him to the highest bidder. I encourage you to visit the auction, check out all the dogs, and support Fast Friends by bidding! You could end up with a fabulous piece of art while supporting animal rescue!

Rick's paradox, shattuck, paushalöv, inapod, and dansk.
OH--I almost forgot! I was so busy with "Micro-Moose" last week that I never finished my Diva Challenge piece. Oh well! I'll finish it eventually. I didn't want to miss yet another weekly challenge, so when I checked out this week's challenge (# 105, Use My Tangle, v. XIII: Dansk), I realized that I already had a perfect "starter" tile. I had begun this tile weeks ago, just as a relaxing piece, and set it aside, unfinished, until I felt inspired to complete it. There was just one space left to fill, and it happened to be the largest area of my string. Today I realized that dansk would complete it nicely, so here it is. If I have time, I'll do another; dansk is really fun! But Moose comes first. I'll post more photos soon!


10 comments:

  1. Like the big Zentangle box that Moose is standing on. Like your tile and the way the shading brings things out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That box does make an excellent pedestal for Moose, doesn't it?!

      Delete
  2. Your tile is beautiful, very well done.
    I hope this dog will get tehe best home ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope so, too! I would love to adopt a greyhound, but my husband appreciates dogs with a completely different temperament. Since he was not enthusiastic about greyhounds, we ended up adopting a rescued dog of a different breed when it was time to bring a dog into our family a few years ago. I still have a soft spot for greyhounds, however, and am so glad that I could contribute to this cause.

      Delete
  3. What an amazing post....with beautiful dansk holding it all together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't dansk a wonderful tangle?! Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  4. I see a face of a fox in your tangle. Great work Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tile, and I loved reading about Moose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Dilip, Janie, and Sue! Tune in later to see my next post featuring updated photos of Micro Moose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on your tangled "moose" in process, and wonderful dansk, etc. tile, too.

    ReplyDelete