Monday, May 16, 2016

Kerfuffle-ABoB

This week's Diva Challenge (#268) is "A Bit-o-Black," or "ABoB" as I like to call it. We are to incorporate a bit more black into our tangles than we usually do. This suggestion is great for encouraging us to imagine tangles with a "tweaked" look--a makeover of sorts. Like we are adding strategic mascara to our tangles for an increased dramatic effect.

When I think of tangles that utilize a heavier dose of ink, knightsbridge is always the tangle that first comes to mind. I think of several others immediately thereafter, but knightsbridge is always first. Yet I rarely use it. It seems like such a simple pattern; I tend to go for more more complexity when selecting tangles. Yet when I see it in others' work, I always love knightsbridge's crisp contrast and how beautifully it works into and enhances a composition.

I also decided that for this challenge I wanted to use one of my original tangles: kerfuffle. For some time now I've been wanting to create something featuring a tango of kerfuffle and knightsbridge—I thought they'd dance really well together!—so this challenge is what prompted me to action with this concept.

Kerfuffle (combined with knightsbridge), skye (by Margaret Bremner),
and keeko, with perfs and a black stripe inked in.
Like most of the work that I share, this is a traditional 3.5" Zentangle® tile.
This challenge for incorporating more black into our design process also provided me with the perfect incentive to try out Margaret Bremner's new tangle skye. The inked-in negative space of this tangle called out to me, providing all the incentive I needed to spend some time working on the tricky line-work of skye.

Celtic knots appeal to me deeply, and when I was an elementary art teacher, not too long ago, I successfully taught hundreds of fourth-grade kids how to draw simple Celtic knots. Yet I found skye to be rather challenging. It took a good bit of practice to feel like I really understood the stroke strategy and could implement it effectively. It takes concentration and patience, and even then, some luck! My rendition has a few irregularities in it, but they don't bother me.

I enjoyed creating this tile. All the filling in was apparently not so good on my hand; I have had a few painful twinges in grasping things tonight. But I am glad I accepted the challenge, and I'd like to try another!

As for kerfuffle . . . I came up with this tangle about a year ago. I have shared the stepouts in a few places (real-world and virtually through online communities), and am happy to share them here, but that will be another blog entry on another day. :-)

Thank you to everyone who commented on last week's post/tile. Feedback from viewers/readers is what makes sharing my thoughts and art so much more worthwhile and fun!







15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tile. I can see why you thought my Diva Challenge tile looked somewhat chaotic. Kudos on mastering Skye. That's definitely on my Zentangle to-do list. I look forward to you sharing your Kerfuffle step outs. It looks elegant,but a good deal easier to master than Skye. In other words, it's in accord with the Zentangle ethos. P.S.: Thanks for taking the time to share your TSA experience in your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tile. I can see why you thought my Diva Challenge tile looked somewhat chaotic. Kudos on mastering Skye. That's definitely on my Zentangle to-do list. I look forward to you sharing your Kerfuffle step outs. It looks elegant,but a good deal easier to master than Skye. In other words, it's in accord with the Zentangle ethos. P.S.: Thanks for taking the time to share your TSA experience in your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You give us a beautiful example of the Diva's Challenge: nice tile with well chosen tangles and splendid black contrasts, I like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love this tile, Amy. You asked about two tangles on my challenge. The star one is called "Intersect" and the one above is called Fortune Cookie. Email me if you have trouble finding step outs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely tile. Nice work with the Skye!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, I especially love the Kiko? shading and fills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kerfuffle is one of my favorite words. Great tile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous piece! I love what you did with "Skye".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there. I really like your tile. It took some focus for me to get Skye working too. I love the combo of tangles that you used, it looks really great. I would like to see the step out for Kerfuffle. So I'll be keeping an eye on your blog, tho I think I would any way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the black in your tile and I must try out your kerfufle, it is very effective here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the combination of tangles and your composition for this week's challenge! If all that inking bothered your hand, may I offer a suggestion? If the space to be inked is large enough, I approach it like painting a wall at home. I "cut in" the corners and edges with my Pigma Micron then "roller" the remaining bit with my Pigma Sensei which is a 1.0mm felt tip. The ink match is quite good and saves me from twinges and aches later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely gorgeous and well-balanced tile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like Skye. I have not tried that one yet. Nice contrast in the tile. The one that you identified as Keeko, reminded me of UP and Across. Their basic pattern is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful combination & great contrasts!

    ReplyDelete